Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tales from an urban-farmgirl



urban-farmgirl hooks it up!

Hi, I'm Erinn, pal of Kacey, Queen City Craft contributor, and crochet fanatic. And this is my first post here. I'm a little nervous actually. But, like in junior high, I should probably just be myself. So here goes...
My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 7. She made many a granny square afghan in those late 70s, early 80s staple brown, tan, green, orange, and mustard yellows and I loved curling up in them. I spent an entire summer making chains from one end of her living room to the other, but then school started and I kind of forgot all about it.
Until the year 2000, when I was suddenly overcome with the need to crochet myself a red scarf. My friend Matthew (an unbelievably talented knitter) found me a pamphlet at a thrift shop titled "I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting!" Yeah, it really had the exclamation point. We both found the title, and the accompanying photo of a lady in a crocheted vest kneeling on the floor of a living room holding up a crocheted afghan surrounded by piles of crocheted home accents hilarious. I took it home and put it on my coffee table. And there it sat for several weeks. Then late one night after a long drunken party at my apartment, just as everyone was leaving, Matthew and I decided it was the perfect time for us both to relearn how to crochet. We got out the pamphlet and the hook and yarn I'd picked up somewhere and made some wobbly chains, and some wildly uneven rows, and if I remember correctly even a few sloppy spirals. I was (and I am so sorry for this) hooked. I've been crocheting ever since.

Life has changed a lot since that fateful party. I've gotten married. Moved twice. Had two incredible kids. Started urban-farmgirl. My aesthetic has changed. I make more kid stuff now and fewer handbags. I don't throw drunken parties anymore (sadly). But I can't stop crocheting, nor can I let go of the idea that crafting can and should be a way of life for those who love to make stuff.
I love Vermont, and I love the artists and crafters who live and work here, and I'm proud to count myself among them. So my mission here is to discover, promote, and learn from all of the talents folks in our awesome state.
I hope you like what you find at Queen City Craft! And I hope you make something today!
-erinn

No comments:

Post a Comment